www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Beta 1.8.4.3 testing new ebay shops feature. Reply with quote

I tried using the new feature and it works fine where the sieve setting to "only search in categories" is not ticked.
If I choose a category then it gives an error eg. -

java.net.UnknownHostException:photography.search.stores.ebay.com

I tried various categories on ebay.co.uk and ebay .com and recieved the same error for each category.
phil the sniper
Officially active!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also getting the same error.

I love the new feature though!!! It has already found me some items that I would have previously never seen!!!
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed in the latest beta
durianfish
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: RE: V 1.8.5 Reply with quote

Nev, A great idea to include eBay store items, I'm sure I'll pick up extra finds with this feature. I've run v 1.8.5 this morning for the first time, and have encountered some problems - basically "Network Connection Failed", unknown host exception: search-desc.stores.ebay.com.au.

I have about 8 sieves I run each morning - some are category searches, some use search terms. There wasn't a facility I could see to include store items in category searches, and I couldn't see any commonalities between those search-term searches that didn't work (one did, others didn't).

If I need to recalibrate my searches to make the most of this feature, can you let me know?

Thanks again, Andrew
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into adding store support for categories but they don't work in the same way as regular categories. If you go to the eBay stores website and browse a category, you get a list of stores, not items. For example :
http://books.stores.ebay.com/Audiobooks_W0QQcatZ29792QQtZlw

It'd help me greatly if you could send me your sieves to debug with. Go to the folder where you installed AuctionSieve, zip up the .sieve files and mail them to me.

More tech details: eBay are sending back url redirects to urls that don't work! I just strip off the category name to make it work so photography.search.stores.ebay.com becomes search.stores.ebay.com. However I'm doing it by checking that the string doesn't start with 'search', which your one does (search-desc)! If I can get your sieves I'll be able to figure out under what circumstances this occurs.
durianfish
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nev, I sent a zipped folder with my sieves in it on Monday - did you get it? Cheers, Andrew
durianfish
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a recurring problem the past 3 days with one sieve, and am getting a "Server returned response code 414 for url......"

Is there anything I can do here to repair it?
durianfish
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I've set up another of my sieves incorrectly: I have set up a term search using "-" that looks over multiple ebay sites (uk, usa, france, etc etc), with a minimum price and trash words. i've selected the "search stores instead" button, however the results that come up seem to be auction listings only (with a few buy it now mixed in as well).

i know if i want to search store listings only through ebay directly, i need to do an advanced search and select "Store Inventory Items only", which works fine. I'd rather run this through AS since it's easier - have i got my sieve set up correctly?
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_status_code#4xx_Client_Error
414 is "Request-URI Too Long"

Ie the url is too long possibly because your search term is too long or you have too many exclude words.

For the other one - I'll have a look at it - care to share the categories you're searching?
durianfish
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood re the first one, there are a lot of trash words there. I'll see if I can refine them. the primary category code for the latter sieve is: au3368.

I'd like to add in the equivalent category codes for other sites also (3371, uk45143, at45991, befr535, benl535, ca45142, fr66622, de45991, in118373, ie45143, it533, nl535, es533, ch45991) if I can.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trash words aren't included in that. They're applied after the results have been downloaded so you can have as many of them as you want.

The exclude words are different - they're specified in the search options.
durianfish
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha. that sort of answers another question - can i "import" exclude words into a sieve once it's been created? this will enable me to reduce the number of items downloaded, albeit within the limit you've mentioned above. is there a maximum number of exclude words that should be used?
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see where to put in the exclude words?
Click the Options button next to "Get auctions!"
You may not be able to see all the options - just grab and drag the divider down to see all of them.
Then, underneath "Search term", you'll see "Words to exclude"

You'll probably be able to fit about 10 exclude words. So try to figure out which trash words occur most frequently and put those in there and you'll cut down on the results that have to be downloaded. (And yes, one feature request is for counts to be displayed next to each trash word to show this info).
durianfish
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nev, I still have the same problem I posted about earlier, re the store search not seeming to work. do i have my sieve set up incorrectly?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: