www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use sniping software/websites?
Yes - and its name is...
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
No - I bid manually and use eBay's watchlist
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No - I bid manually and use AuctionSieve's watchlist
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Do you use sniping software/websites? Reply with quote

I'm interested because the only way I actually make money from AuctionSieve is via people putting in a bid after viewing the item via AuctionSieve - ie using sniping tools means I get nothing. And I can't add sniping functionality to AuctionSieve because that's against the eBay affiliate terms and conditions.

So working on the principle that two brains are better than one, I'll throw this challenge out to you. I know many of you would like to compensate me in some way but I'm adamant that AuctionSieve remain free.

Is there any way to add functionality to AuctionSieve that would be acceptable to you and yet get around the no-autosniping requirement?

(PS I don't mind at all if you use sniping software - I'm all about making things easier for people!)

Last edited by nev on Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy Treadway
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eSnipe
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auctionstealer.

Used in conjunction with Auction Tamer..... click on an item, the program takes you to the Auctionstealer homepage, prefills your login info, press enter/login and the correct item comes up for you to put your bid amount/bid time in.

Turn off PC, go to sleep and don't worry! Magic!

I have used many programs that place your bid for you providing you are connected to the internet. Even though a snipe service is more reliable bidding/sniping 'Live' through Auctionsieve would definately be used.

Martyn
ET
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, that should be 'its name is'... (Sorry, just caught my eye.)

I've only started sniping recently, and for now I've settled on the Vrane.com sniper, because it's free (for one snipe at a time) and it won my one bid yesterday, so I know it works (until now I didn't trust these things). I did win something today without sniping (it was a dutch auction), but I figure I'll do some sniping from now on. Main problem with sniping is that I have to really decide how much I'm willing to pay. It's not a real problem, but it usually takes me some time to decide this, and I can miss a few bargains (in retrospect) that way.
WestOz
Active contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Sniping Software Reply with quote

Auction Sentry
bw9012
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auction Sentry
aeromark
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammersnipe... Allows three snipes (10-20 second) a week with a free account. You can go to a three second snipe with a paid account.

Also I use auction sentry when I have a high speed connection for snipes and general auction monitoring.

I'll usually place a low bid with AuctionSieve first - just to make sure Neville has his sandwich money.
burchfamily
Active contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use Auctionsieve to watch things and bid on them when the time is running down. If you are looking for a way to make it easier for those of us who do things this way, one option would be the ability to set end of auction alarms for individual auctions. I typically have 75-150 items on my watchlist so having the alarm on for all auctions would drive me crazy, but if I could put an alarm on a specific item, it would definatly make things alot easier to keep track of.
hackbridge_boy
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: I used Hammersnipe Reply with quote

until someone got hold of my Ebay details and tried to buy things fraudulently. I'm paronoid of giving my details to anyone for the purpose of sniping in case it happens again.

Is there any software which does it without going through a server, or someone having to know the details?

Thanks for the Auction Sieve again, it really is great.

Hackbridge_boy
cjaeger
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, often - jBidwatcher

It allows me to set spending limits, group multiple similar auctions, and it keeps a watchlist including my bid amounts. In a few cases I wish to remain anonymous until the very last minute, mostly bidding for very rare objects in a very small market ... But then, that's exactly what the competing bidders do. Most of the time I bid thru auctionsieve, though, because it's the most convenient.

jBidwatcher runs unattended on my office computer 24/7 (2MBit leased line) and can be controlled remotely using vpn tunnel.

In addition to the great time savings auctionsieve provides, this saves me some additional 2 hours each week.

I did not know you get a commission. I guess you don't get any for my bids, because of the article is always shown on the main (ebay.com) site instead of the localized one (EBAY.DE). So I always correct the url before bidding, because some features/items are not available to users at ebay.com.

cjaeger
Germany
gaines
Active contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I knew your program used a referral link and was happy to help support it, I did not realize that the clickthrough didn't count unless you bid.

From now on I suggest everyone (starting with myself) places low bids early in addition to their final "sniping" bid.

Say your item is at $10 and has 2 days left, but you know the item will go for at least $50. Go ahead and bid $12 right then and set up your snipe at whatever your final bid will be in 2 days. That way Nev will still get credit and AuctionSieve lives on. :)

Personally, I haven't found a free sniping service that is worth the trouble for me, but I'm going to check out Vrane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rejoyce
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is exactly what i have always done. not only does it give AuctionSieve the credit for a bid, but bidding early is good in case of bid amount ties. if an item has no bids, i definitely always bid.

i would still like some sniping friendly things added to AuctionSieve, like the ability to note when i've added a snipe, and how much the snipe is set at.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: