www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wickmesh
AuctionSieve yoda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Same junk results in every sieve Reply with quote

I was putting this off as an ebay glitch, but it's becoming consistent and annoying.

It's as if ebay is ignoring the search terms supplied by AS completely, and providing one page of results from something random - and AS is not catching that it has happened.

I'm wondering if it's part of ebay's DDOS protection because if I open multiple sieves at once it seems to occur more often. The same random results appear in every sieve. Some sieves pick up a few correct results (as if some of the searches in that sieve worked OK) but despite containing multiple searches most don't.

The last few days have been various Pokemon cards, today is a load of jewellery with the word "tourmaline" in the title. Neither of which are things I'm searching for or remotely interested in.

The temporary fix seems to be either to try again later - or to hammer ebay. Hit each sieve repeatedly, watching the number of results to see that they are increasing as you'd expect each time, each time go through the results you get, until you've seen everything and the number of new results is zero (assuming you use "Hide items shown before" - if not good luck)!
wickmesh
AuctionSieve yoda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example image below.

Sometimes trash words that you already have set up get rid of some of the junk results, hence some sieves having less results than others - but if I unclick "Trash Word filter" the junk is all there.

EDIT - actually some of them have a mix of yesterday's Pokemon Cards (all "Sword & Shield" or some variation of this) hidden by trash words, as well as today's Tourmaline!

nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm encountering this problem as well.
As you say, they may have become more strict with their DDOS protection.
When I retrieve just a single sieve, it's fine.
If I retrieve multiple sieves at once, it will occasionally throw up bad pages.

Whereby bad pages, when I look at what has actually been returned - it's basically a page with 0 results. Which is kind of odd. Because if it was a DDOS protection, it would return nothing - ie no page at all. But they're actually returning a legitimate page - just with 0 results - which is nonsense...
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, also got weird results where one sieve had results from a completely different sieve - as though ebay was returning stuff it thought I might like based on past searches or something.
wickmesh
AuctionSieve yoda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nev wrote:
Hmmm, I'm encountering this problem as well.
[...]When I retrieve just a single sieve, it's fine.

Glad it's not just me! Unfortunately I've found a couple of times longer sieves (containing multiple searches or many results from each search) can trigger the issue towards the end of the sieve, even when that sieve is the first and only one opened.

nev wrote:
Whereby bad pages, when I look at what has actually been returned - it's basically a page with 0 results. Which is kind of odd. Because if it was a DDOS protection, it would return nothing - ie no page at all. But they're actually returning a legitimate page - just with 0 results - which is nonsense...

That is odd... so where do the 50(ish) random results come from, if the returned page has 0 results?
wickmesh
AuctionSieve yoda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news is that this one seems to have gone away now! For a while I've been able to safely open all my sieves at the same time.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: