www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackbridge, in the properties of a sieve you can click on "More..." and tick the box to search descriptions as well as titles.

Note though that the work is done on ebay's servers and they just return the results - AuctionSieve doesn't have access to the descriptions - just the result lists.

Aqua, thanks for the info - I hadn't seen that change! Only downside is you can only specify up to 10 sellers to exclude.

What's your other program and does it actually download each item's full page?

Also would you be willing to send me your sieve files - they'd be good for testing and I'm just plain curious how come you've got so many!
Aqua210
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other program I use is Auctiva's Buying Manager..
It is new .. I worked with them in getting the program set up.
They are still tweaking..

I am not sure if it downloads complete pages..
In the search response I get them by email.. I then add them to my "Watch List" then I get to see item number description time left current price.. and when I am ready to bid (the last couple of hours) I click on either the title or the item number and the page opens up for viewing.

I buy and sell rare videos and DVDs.. I have another 500 or so titles to add to AS .. just have not had the time.. I try to add a few each week..
I really need to edit what I have in there already.. it just takes so long to do... being able to Alphabetize would be a help..

What do you use AS for?
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be able to quickly add in the sorting.
One extra thing - would it be handy for you if, when you click "Add another search", it copies the criteria of the search above, ie whether Must accept PayPal is ticked, etc?

Also, just confirming, have you got those 1000 searches in one sieve? (Or do you have 1000 sieves?)

Personally I use AuctionSieve to look for old Dungeons & Dragons. I just grab everything in the D&D category - about 20 pages every day. It was so tedious doing it manually that I wrote some software that evolved into AuctionSieve to help me get rid of the crap. That's also why you couldn't even do regular searches in the first version.
Aqua210
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes .. duplicating criteria would be a help.

The searches span 10 different sieves.

I could send you one of the big ones.. that should do it.
Aqua210
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard would it be to make it possible to move a search from one sieve to another?
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not hard conceptually but a non-trivial amount of actual work UI-wise.
idezine
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nev wrote:
Hi tpro,

I gather you're using "File->Select Sieve..." in the meantime?

Out of interest, why do you have so many sieves?
Nev

Nev

Yes, thats how I have been using the Sieve selection...

I search for so many differant things on eBay... I am an addict plus there are very specific things I look for... I have about 60-70 different Sieve's.

Keep up the good work! Laughing
aaalexxx
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi nev!

thank you so much for your work and for this great program! i've used it a lot in the past days and it made my ebay-life a lot easier :)

just one thing: would it be possible to show the results country-specific? i mean, if i search ebay.de (tools->options->default ebay site) i'd like the auctions to show up on ebay.de, but until now they all show up in english on ebay.com.

best wishes from germany!
aleks.
Aqua210
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great addition would be to be able to combine sieves and do all the combined searches at one time... rather than going from one sieve to the next to the next.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, new beta is out which allows you to do sorting and rearranging of searches in the Sieve Properties dialog. Also when you click "Add another search" it will now duplicate the details from the search above.

Thanks for the message Aleks. Are you talking about when you click the View links? Or are your results only bringing back US items?

When you select the Default Ebay Site it doesn't change any of the searches you've already set up. You may need to look at the sieve properties, click "More..." next to the search keyword and then select the german ebay site.
FoulFoot
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nev, this is a great tool which keeps getting better with every iteration. I'm now using it daily and finding it to be extremely helpful and time-saving.

Some comments:

1) Would it be possible to offer some configuration options for the main screen? Specifically, I don't use the Catch words / Trash words / Work area panes, and would rather free up screen space for the main Sieve pane.

2) I'm not sure if phrases (bracketed by quote marks) are working correctly. For instance, if I want to set up a search that disregards pandas, lions, and "teddy bears", I think it's throwing out everything with "teddy" and "bears" in it. Not 100% sure about this, though. A few filters seemed to be malfunctioning, so I created multiple searches ("teddy bears" in one search, with "exact phrase" on, and then a second search with "lions", etc).

3) As mentioned previously, a sellers / bidders option would be nice, in the Sieve properties (as a search option). I realize it wouldn't be possible to have this as part of the Catch words or search-results, but I'd think it would be easy to add a feature that's already part of the eBay search system.

4) That's all. This program is otherwise perfect.

Foul
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Foul,

1) I know it's not the best solution but you can currently slide the catch/trash words panel over to the left with the slider. Same with the temp work area. I'm currently working on adding more filtering options so I could look at adding some layout options at the same time. Just out of interest, why don't you use the trash words? No need?

2) Could you give me some example ebay urls?

3) Okidoke!

4) Very Happy

Nev
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Aqua, did you try out the sorting stuff in the latest beta?

Anyway, I've just released a new beta which contains a new filtering mechanism. I'm pretty happy with it! Very Happy Let me know what you think and what other filters I should include.
Aqua210
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try the sorting a little bit.. it's great! Now I need the time to go in and edit all those searches.

Have been busy catching up after our latest hurricane here in Florida.. being without power is a bummer.. not to mention having to try to breath in a suana (no air conditioning) ..

Can't wait to see the new filtering system.. should help get rid of some of the unwanted results.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone try out the new "Give Feedback..." option under the Help menu?

Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: