www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cervon
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Am not getting the pictures in the auctions! Reply with quote

For the first time this morning (9/21/05) Auction Sieve is not getting the pictures of the items. Must be something Ebay has done. (AGAIN!)

Reminds me of when I used to run my browser with the picture option turned for because it ran much faster.
Bruce
cervon
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it works! Go figure...........

Bruce
Randy Treadway
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Am not getting the pictures in the auctions! Reply with quote

It's not working for me either (and hasn't STARTED working) even though I closed Auctionsieve and restarted it, etc.
I'm assuming it's an eBay change of some kind.

Last edited by Randy Treadway on Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
mac
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. No photos. I have tried restarting, as well, to no avail. Must be something with Ebay.

Mac
Randy Treadway
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update-
a few pictures are now displaying-
....but not many.
mac
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the same----a few pictures. Strange that only a some will come through.

mac
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to take a look at it tonight...
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys give me some example searches or whatnot where it's not working? Images are coming down ok for me in the searches I tried.
mac
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search for marine compass gives 63 hits with 12 camera icons and no pictures. After about 2 minutes 8 pictures appear.

A search for bilge pumps gives 169 hits with 8 pictures immediately. After a minute another 5 pictures appeared and after another 1 minute 2 more pictures appeared. All the photos start at the top of the list and work down. Probably, if I waited for a half hour they'd all appear.

I'm running OS 10.3.9 on a Imac G3

Hope this helps.

Mac
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be some intermittent thing with ebay's image server.

If there's a delay but the images come up it just means their server is slow.

Maybe they're doing some maintenance - they've been making a bunch of other changes as well (shipping etc).

I just tried those searches and the images came up ok.
mac
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder why they come up quickly for you and not for me. I'd think if Ebay had a problem with their servers, it would effect us all equally.

Mac
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck? Because it's intermittent I'm just lucking out and testing it when the server appears to be working well. For Bruce (cervon) at one point it wasn't working, then at another time it did.

Just tried it here at the place I work (ie no special development environment - just the same download as everyone else and latest update 1.7.6) and the images came down ok. Bit slower than usual - about 1 second between each picture.
Randy Treadway
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it, and all the pictures came down immediately without delay. I guess eBay must have been making some changes or doing maintenance over the weekend.

In past weeks (other than the Auctionsieve pictures anomaly) I had noticed that eBay items which displayed pictures which are stored on eBay's own picture hosting service, were frequently loading VERY slowly (the pictures that is, not the description) when I tried to take a look at a particular item. I had presumed that eBay is having some kind of photo-hosting service server access problems, so it didn't surprise me too much when a similar problem with the little thumbnails manifested itself over the weekend in Auctionsieve.

By the way, having to "do without" the little thumbnails for several days revealed that I depend on those darned little things a lot more than I thought I did!
Particularly when I'm working down a long retrieved list of items and I see a particular item I want to "click" on and take a closer look at. When I'm finished looking at the item in my internet browser, and I want to return to auctionsieve, I have a lot of trouble getting my eyes back to the row where I was when I left, without a 'visual clue' as well. As it turns out I was relying almost totally on those thumbnail clues as visual placeholders in my brain. Not every item has a thumbnail of course, but it was easier to remember 'two items below the blue Chevy' than searching for particular text- made much worse by my monitor displaying at 1600x1200- that text is pretty darned tiny!

Which brings to mind a suggestion-
I can move my mouse over several items and a 'shaded bar' highlights each item as I move my mouse over it. I can then click on a particular item ("View") if I want to. But if I come BACK to auctionsieve after looking at the item in my browser, that particular item no longer displays the 'shaded bar'- NONE of them do (until I move my mouse again).
Can Auctionsieve be programmed so that when you click on "view" the item's bar will remain shaded until you click on another row to unlock it??(or click on a different "view", of course)
The shaded bar could then serve as an effective placeholder while one is jumping back and forth to the internet browser.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: