www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merrillgi
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: 1.8.2 unwanted behavior with non-US eBay listings Reply with quote

I upgraded to 1.8.2 today, and in the change notes noticed something about how handling listings from foreign eBay sites was changed in 1.8.2. I watch the same eBay listing category in a lot of different eBays (US, France, Britain, etc.). Now in 1.8.2 all the non-US eBay listings it finds for me are completely in foreign languages, and when I choose the "watch this item" on the listing, the listing doesn't show up in My eBay, it shows up in "Mon eBay" or whatever. I do all my eBay work from the "my eBay Buying, Items I'm Watching" page and need all the listings I'm watching there, including the foreign ones. I could not do my work if I had to chase around to all these different "Mon eBay" etc. sites, and dealing with the foreign languages is difficult for me.

The way auctionsieve worked with foreign listings was just perfect in 1.8.1. I looked for an option setting to go back to the old way of handling things, but couldn't find one. Please tell me how to revert to the old behavior! Please, it's very important to my little business! Thank you.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi merrillgi,

Ok, so it sounds like you want it to always go to the default ebay site (Tools->Options...->Appearance->Default eBay site), yeah?

Makes sense - I think I'll add it as an option because I'm not sure what most people would expect. I had assumed that if someone was doing a search on a foreign site that they'd want to be going to that site when they view auctions.

As a workaround, while you wait for the update, you can do your search using ebay.com and select one of the options such as "Located in Any Country" or "Available to Any Country". Or is that not sufficient for what you need?

Nev
merrillgi
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Ok, so it sounds like you want it to always go to the default ebay site (Tools->Options...->Appearance->Default eBay site), yeah?

Yes!

> As a workaround, while you wait for the update, you can do your search using ebay.com and select one of the options such as "Located in Any Country" or "Available to Any Country". Or is that not sufficient for what you need?

No, that won't really do it, because I search by photograph in general categories, which is what makes AuctionSieve so useful to me. I have found one (inconvenient) workaround since my initial post - if I can remember to log in to a foreign eBay while I'm viewing a listing that I've found while using AuctionSeive, then that listing will appear in my US eBay "My eBay", and with English language messages. However, I have to do it for every foreign eBay I encounter, at the time I'm viewing the listings, or the listing is lost to me. Even if I remember to do it, this is inconvenient.

Thanks for your help!
berdo260
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: 1.8.2 unwanted behavior Reply with quote

I upgraded to 1.8.2 and I also have an unwanted behavior.
I search for items (cars) in various foreign ebays. When I get the sieve results, I get everything perfect, as in the past, including the picture, title, price, bids etc. of the items. The problem arise when I want to view the item/s. When I click to the View or View All link to open the browser to get the full auction details, the program closes and I cannot get anymore to the file auctionsieve.exe. After searching all Hard Disks for the program, I do not find the file, it has been deleted but it is not even in the bin. So I have to reinstall it. This happens also when I try to open the items of the sieve result in a different way (by marking the right square at the end of each line of result and then clicking on the View Box). Even if I try to copy all the result items in my watchlist and then I try to open them from the watchlist itselfs I get the same problem.
I have tried also to use Mozilla Firefox insted of IE but the same occurs. I have also scanned the pc for viruses but none are there. I have downloaded the versiob 1.8.2 from your site:
http://www.auctionsieve.com/download/other-downloads.htm but before installing I got the following message:
The digital signature was generated with a trusted certificate but has expired or is not yet valid.
Thank you for your help
Dino
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merrillgi - Try out the latest beta (go to Tools->Check for beta updates) - I've changed the behaviour so that clicking on View will go to your default ebay site.

berdo260 - That is extremely odd. By default, on a pc the program is installed to C:\Program Files\AuctionSieve. Try this - open up windows explorer to look at that directory - you should see AuctionSieve.exe and several other files. Now try running it, get some auctions and click on View. Now, what happens in that directory??? One thing you can try changing is to go Tools->Options...->Browser tab and uncheck or check "Force creation of new browser window when clicking View". Let me know how you go.
merrillgi
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: 1.8.2 unwanted behavior Reply with quote

I tried the 1.8.2.1 beta and it fixes the problem. Thanks!

But just to let you know, I did get one "ebay returned pages I can't interpret" or whatever message from US ebay when using the beta (I usually got about three using 1.8.2).
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me the search you were running to get that message?
merrillgi
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was dowloading the listings in category 4733 on US ebay. It has never happened to me on any other country's ebay.
berdo260
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: 1.8.2 unwanted behavior with non-US eBay listings Reply with quote

Hi, thank you for your assistance! When I went to look at the Auctionsive directory, before I reinstalled it, AuctionSieve.exe was not there anymore. It was probably deleted when I tried to open the new browser windows from the result page. Several other files where there. Ireinstalled the program and I tried uncheck "Force creation of new browser window when clicking View" and NOW IT WORKS!!!
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!
(Still very strange though...)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: