www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzybear
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: new idea - hide the "temporary work area" Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I personally do NOT use the temporary work area and it just seems to take up screen area for no good reason (for me)
what about a simple option somewhere to hide the temporary work area completely.

there are quite a few times whereby you have to continually re-size the temporary work are by dragging the divider bar downwards. I still can't seem to put my finger why it re-sizes itself but it does. so one solution is to simply hide it.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting - I have at times wondered about it myself.
Do you use catch and trash words?

The intention is that you can see a subset of results that match a search term (the 'word') and still be able to see those items in place in the main results. The other approach would be to only have the main results and filter those according to the search term (ie it would display what is at the moment being displayed in the temp work area).
fuzzybear
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, I use catch words occasionally and trash words very very frequently but having said that the catch-words appear within the listings in a separate group so who needs to see another list and the trash words - well the words says it all, they're trash, who cares what matches, If I did care, then flick the switch in the option panel, after all, thats like saying "do I want to see those auctions I've already seen?" - no not really, but occasionally when I hit accidently close the sieve I then turn on the "already seen" option for a few minutes.

don't get me wrong, I use the sieves everyday and like useing the programme, but having said that, I personally don't use the temp work area, and would happily live without it, I can always display if I really want to.

kev
fuzzybear
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, I use the trash words to reduce the actual "interesting auctions", by running the sieves frequently, and using the trash words frequently, also I always hide previously seen auctions, I end up with just 10 or so from 700+ auctions that are "interesting", I've already worked out in my mind that a certain word (trash) isn't useful to me within the contexts of this seive.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking was that you'd want to see what results a word produced before making it a catch word - but yeah, after it's been created, they're grouped together anyway.

I've added the idea as R17 on the feature request list :
http://www.auctionsieve.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=469

Do you think it should just be a general setting or should it be on a per sieve basis?
fuzzybear
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.
again, personally, I never look at the trash contents (for any sieve), so it wouldn't matter whether it was a system or sieve setting.

perhaps put the option in the filters section that then defaults from the seive entry and remembers the setting the next time you open that particular seive, then just a click hides it from then on.

one small point here, if I pick a word that is "trash" for the first time, the clearly the word is shown in the temp work area, BUT and its a big BUT, from that time on, the trash word is ONLY to be found in the trash list and you never get to see the contents again so the concept of seeing the list is a bit ???.

Perhaps (???) you should turn OFF the temp work area by default but then automatically turn it on if the user selects any word from the trash list (why would they be selecting the word from the list if they were'nt interested in it other than deleting the word from that list??

If they really want to see the current auctions that matches the word, then they could just choose it from the list.

I hope the concept is clear, I just see it as another way of "clearing and cleaning the interface" unitl you want to use the concept.

kev

strikes me that some people might need to turn it on or off whenever they are not sure
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: