www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotshoe
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: AuctionSieve using a lot of virtual memory Reply with quote

I'm using an Apple G4 Powerbook with 1.25 GB RAM (the maximum)
Been noticing a lot of beachballing in Firefox & suspect there is some conflict going on. Looking at the Activity Monitor I see that AuctionSieve is using a lot of memory & when I quit the problem goes away.
It was using 600mb of real memory and about 2.5gb of virtual memory but only 2% of CPU.
In AuctionSieve I have 15 items on the watchlist and 1,400 stored in Price History.
I did a search here on memory & based on that have turned off the option to download images although I doubt the 15 items with images would be causing the problem.
Ideally I would like to keep AuctionSieve open all the time so it can give me the 20 minute warning when an auction is going to end. Any ideas about this memory usage and how to reduce it to something normal? Could it be the 1,400 items in price history, and if so is there some way to export them out to a database such as Excel so I could then clear the History?
hotshoe
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I did deselect the "download auction images" option and then re-started Auction Sieve. That does seem to have made a difference, memory used is now around 84mb and virtual memory is about 870mb.
Will leave it open and see how things go.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, images can certainly take up a lot of memory.
The size of the Price History won't affect things much.
Also, is this a recent thing? There's a new Software Update for Snow Leopard which apparently fixes some problem in the latest Java.
hotshoe
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Tiger on a G4 Power PC Mac and don't want to run any of the newer operating systems as I've heard they can be problematic on the older Macs. In the next year or two I will buy a current model Mac, just putting it off until its too annoying not to.
I think the memory use has been large for awhile but it only annoyed me enough recently to start doing something about it.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: