www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stagediver
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Auctionsieve creates some "tmp" folders... why ? Reply with quote

Hi nev !
Hi everybody out there !

I am really happy with auctionsieve, it is very stable, too.
I use Opensuse Linux 12.1.

Everything is fine with auctionsieve, except there is a behaviour of auctionsieve which i saw in earlier versions too (i have 2.6.3 installed at the moment):

- Auctionsieve is installed in the following directory: "/home/username/auctionsieve",
it is started with "java -DBROWSER="firefox %s" -jar /home/ulf/auctionsieve/auctionsieve263.jar"

- Auctionsieve creates a folder named "tmp" in my "/home/username/auctionsieve" and in my "/home/username" folder which always has a *.txt-file in it which is called "test.txt". If i open up this file in a Text-Editor it has the following content: "Test".

- This directory and file is also created in another directory called "Downloads". This directory was there before and i created it myself (not auctionsieve), i use it as the typical folder for downloads and various stuff i work on (which don´t have anything to do with auctionsieve). Its the usual folder for the "dirt work", i think everybody who is working with files of any kind very often has such a directory, don´ t you ?

This folder "/home/username/Downloads" has various subfolders, too. In each of these subfolders auctionsieve creates AGAIN a folder named "tmp" with that textfile "test.txt" in it !

- If i delete all these unwanted folders with its unwanted content, they will be back from the grave when i start auctionsieve again !

I don´t think it is the fault of auctionsieve, i believe i made a strange misconfiguration sometime in auctionsieve which causes the creation of these directorys. Or maybe the config was corrupted ? Bad thing is i don´t find anything in the configuration of auctionsieve which could be the cause of the problem, i don´t even have a sieve called "tmp" or "Test" !
I also used a Text-Editor and read in the various files which auctionsieve uses for configuration and stuff. Nothing obvious to see there (for me) and no presence of "test.txt" in them for example !

Not a real problem at all, but this senseless creation of dirs and textfiles gets on my nerves Confused

Am i the only person (especially using auctionsieve with Linux) who has this "problem" ?

GREETINGS from Germany !
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey stagediver,

AuctionSieve performs some diagnostics when it starts up to see if it can write to particular locations, to try to figure out where it can store settings and other temp files.

It tries:
- your current working directory
- your home directory
- the system tmp directory

I should probably make it clean up afterwards. I'll try to put that in the next release. Very Happy

Nev
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've added code in the latest beta to clean up the temp test files.
Can you check it's doing the right thing?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: