www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Nev,

I might have mislead you there....

I meant 'Items Listed As New' (i.e. from the 'condition' field, not new today or having 'new' in the title)

And yes, I meant to have an option where a sieve could just search through your list of favourite sellers showing all they have added recently or honing it down with keywords?

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Martyn :oops:
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me an example url on eBay where the condition field appears? Is that one of those special fields for certain categories?
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nev,

Every auction has the option to check 'New' or 'Used' in condition just before the description starts.

Take a look here... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3937913118

It is not mandatory to use this field but you can search using it in the eBay advanced search. It would be great in AS.

Martyn
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah interesting - it's not on the US advanced search page! Only on the UK site (I haven't checked the other foreign sites.)

Also, not all items have it - for example :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61044&item=6334831589&rd=1

Categories on eBay can have certain extra attributes - one of them being used/new amongst other things like shoe sizes, shirt styles etc.

I could probably implement just the new/used thing but what would be nice long term is for AS to figure out those extra attributes dynamically and allow you to add them to your search.

Here's an example category with no special attributes :
http://toys.listings.ebay.com/Games_Role-Playing_W0QQfromZR4QQsacategoryZ2543QQsocmdZListingItemListQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

And here's a category where you can specify several things - Type of shoe eg Boot, subtype eg Cowboy, US Size and Condition :
http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQa54Z2293QQalistZa54QQgcsZ21QQpfidZ22QQsocmdZListingItemList
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you..... however, you could be setting yourself up for a fall because eBay do tend to mess around with these specifics within listings quite a bit and I worry that AS would have to be updated every time something changed.

However, you are the programming wizard :D so I am sure you can get round it. I personally would like expanded searching functionality, particulary to have maybe 2 sieves for the same items, 1 that picks up only my searches in condition 'new' and 1 that shows everything else.

OR..... perhaps adding the choice of condition to the list of filters maybe?

Martyn
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it could definitely be flaky...
Should still be able to add just the condition thing - may not work on all sites or be relevant for all categories but that's ok.
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nev,

Let me know if you need any testing

Martyn
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again Nev,

I have another idea of something that may be simple to implement.

Tonight, I wrote a sort of 'reverse' sieve. Basically, I use AS to find all the new items added for my choice of searches on a nearly hourly basis. However, I use another program to throw up all items that I am interested in as they are about to finish (in case I missed anything).

Why use that program when I can use AS. I wrote a new sieve with all my favourites compiled from each separate sieve, took the 'ignore items seen before' off, and sorted by time remaining. Simple, I know, but really excellent.... all the things I am interested in on eBay on one page as they are about to finish.... brilliant!

My question is this. Can you add a timed refresh to a sieve? Something where you can choose refresh every 5mins, 10mins etc so that you don't have to switch to AS and refresh manually and then switch away whilst a complex search takes place.

I know it is lazy but it could be really useful.

Over to you and the ever growing list of enhancements. I am presuming you read my reply to your question about the watchlist under the sticky 'Introduce Yourself'?

Thanks Nev :D
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... It was under the clipboard & auctionsieve thread and NOT the introduce yourself thread.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autorefresh is a pretty popular request - so yes, I'll be adding that fairly soon.

Yeah, I read the reply about the watchlist. Good food for thought. <sarcasm>And my todo list was looking a bit sparse</sarcasm> Very Happy
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice One Nev......

You are a star! :lol:
Fluffmaister
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry nev,

another small thing that would be cool would be to have the number of items which have been caught by a catchword to appear next to the catchword in the catchwordoverview.

I´m kind of an big AD&D fan, so I load whole rpg itempages into auctionsieve, which require up to 40 words to order properly and I'm always wondering which catchwords are the most effective.

Hope you can help me here.

Steven
Aqua210
AuctionSieve regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: THIS ONES EASY Reply with quote

I have an easy request.. how about an additional timer between end today and 36 hours.. like 28 hours.. I am at it every day but not consistently the same time so 24 hours is too tight.. 36 is too loose.. 28 would be perfect.
martynp
AuctionSieve master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: eBay UK New Search Options For Auctionsieve? Reply with quote

Hi Nev,

eBay UK now allows you to tailor your searches even more.....

Quote:
***Customise your Search Results – with Smart Columns***
Date: 12/11/04 Time: 03:42:57 PM GMT

We are pleased to announce that we have improved the ability to customise the information displayed on search results pages.

You can now choose which information is displayed (eg PayPal, Postage Cost, Country) and in which order it is displayed on the page.

Regards,
The eBay.co.uk Team

Hoping that some of this might be incorporated into AS, particularly the postage cost would be very helpful on the sieve results screen.

Regards,

Martyn
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I'll have to look into it.

Aqua - I added the 28 hour option in the latest update.

Steven - good idea. My D&D sieve contains over 300 catch words and over 1500 trash words. Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: