www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuackHat12
Active contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: AS 2.6.7 is laggy in Ubuntu 14.04: is it me? Reply with quote

By laggy, I mean when I move the pointer around with the mouse, the user interface is laggy. There is a strange effect with a shady gray color being slowly painted across discrete rows of the screen from left to right. Scrolling with the mouse wheel is laggy. All of the above takes place when the mouse pointer is over auction listings. If the mouse pointer is on a scrollbar, I can scroll with no lag.

I am just curious if there is any trick/tip here. AS is usable, but I like to aim for perfection...

RAM 7.7 GB
i5-3330 @ 3.00GHz x 4
64 Bit
120 GB SSD
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

The effect you're seeing is a row-highlighter. For a similar example, when you're logged in to gmail, mouse-over your list of folders on the left (Inbox, Sent Mail, etc) and you'll see a grey highlight.

Not sure what's happening on your system. It works fine under Windows and OS X. And your machine specs are plenty fast enough.

What version of java are you running? I suspect there's some weird combination of window manager, gpu driver and java that's causing problems.
QuackHat12
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: AS 2.6.7 is laggy in Ubuntu 14.04: is it me? continued Reply with quote

Thanks Nev.

> update-java-alternatives -l

java-1.7.0-openjdk-amd64 1071 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-openjdk-amd64

> java -showversion

java version "1.7.0_55"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.7) (7u55-2.4.7-1ubuntu1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

Window manager should be Compiz.

I don't think I installed a non-free (proprietary) gpu driver (NVidia?), although I was prompted to do so during the OS system install. AS was laggy right away upon OS install.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try out Java 8?
QuackHat12
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick googling tells me OpenJDK 8 is not out yet in the Ubuntu Repositories. I don't want to destabilize my system as a result of installing it by any other means. I might ask my laggy AS question in a Ubuntu forum if I get a chance, in case there are other users who found a tweak. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: