www.auctionsieve.com
The AuctionSieve forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamalscuro
AuctionSieve guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: eBay is returning error pages or pages I can't interpret Reply with quote

Nev,

"eBay is returning error pages or pages I can't interpret" pop-up message is one of the more frustrating parts of the AS experience. Every few months Ebay changes something up, and we get the pop-up clickfest.

Is is possible to set Auctionsieve to not give up so easily?

I mean, often I'll click "Yes" and a second or two later the same sieve is returning the same pop-up. It feels like playing a videogame, clicking until AS gets back to work.

Does this actually need to be manual input on the part of the user?
ClippersChris2013
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nev, I'm experiencing the same issue as the user above. I keep getting the "eBay is returning error pages" prompt. Thanks for everything. Hopefully this issue is resolved easily.
ClippersChris2013
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program is no longer returning the error message I reported back on June 25th. Hopefully it has been corrected. It appears that it has been fixed. Thanks!
mianwagner
AuctionSieve guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Dialog boxes Reply with quote

It would be nice to have something that clears 20 dialog boxes all at once. It gets a little unnecessary.
chamalscuro
AuctionSieve guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error is shutting down everything this morning. Things will be fine for a couple of days, and then it comes back.
wpitman
AuctionSieve expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue. Error = "Failed to connect to eBay for "xxxxxx". Then java.io.IOException:

I've deleted and reinstalled java and that fixes it temporarily. But these errors return after a couple days.
WestOz
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any answers on this annoying problem, it's been going on for quite a while.

The only way to stop all the errors is the go to Task Manager and stop the Java App.
WestOz
Active contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestOz wrote:
Any answers on this annoying problem, it's been going on for quite a while.

The only way to stop all the errors is the go to Task Manager and stop the Java App.

Anybody out there?
wickmesh
AuctionSieve yoda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get similar errors too. But I don't think it's AS's fault.

I find ebay's DOS (denial of service) protection is getting tougher, and this affects the speed and number of AS searches I can perform without getting the message and "whack a mole" level of popup errors.

Opening all sieves is definitely no longer possible. Now to use AS reliably I have to manually launch all my smaller sieves one by one (EDIT waiting for each one to finish before launching the next), then review the results of those (to give a bit of time delay) and only then launch my largest sieve - even then the error can appear (in which case it's work through the popups and stop the sieve - and try again later). It's also worth carefully checking through your sieves and removing things you don't need to be searching for any more, again to further reduce your demand on ebay.

<RANT>Ebay themselves don't know there butt from their elbow. (I believe) they have different levels of DOS protection set up on their general auction listing servers to those that process the "custom list" information. I find if I open 30+ AS results at once, I have to repeatedly refresh the item pages in my browser in order for my custom lists to show up in the drop down menu. Sometimes I have to leave the tab open and come back to it 15 minutes later. It's frustrating, time wasting and it cannot be doing the load on ebay's severs any good. I've only been reporting this issue to them for a couple of years(!)...</RANT>
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct. It seems the DOS protection is being very aggressive. As you say, running each sieve one at a time seems to help. I may have to put some sort of pauses in between each retrieval. The annoying thing is, once the protection is triggered, it takes a little while to come good again.
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've resorted to limiting AuctionSieve to only doing 1 connection at a time. Previously I had it at 10. It seems to be reliable now, albeit a bit slower.

I could perhaps add it as an option to allow users to play with different number to see if they can get a speed-up without it triggering the DOS protections. For now, I think it's adequate.
chamalscuro
AuctionSieve guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep beta is working here. Thanks Nev.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: